Monday, February 21, 2011

Vintage Lucite Purses

Long ago...when I was about 20, I spotted a clear, boxy purse in a local antique store, with a simple flower carved into the lid.  It was hard plastic and I was immediately taken with the look of the thing...it was old, but modern looking, it was streamlined but funky looking, outrageous but functional and I knew that I had to have it.  But how?  Those were the days of poor... no $48.00 to buy this thing that I wanted so badly.  Groceries yes, rent money yes, funky purse no.  What to do?




Well, I knew that I had a 1940's telephone gossip bench that my mom really liked.  I loved sitting on that comfy bench, talking, talking, talking to my friends (pre cell phone days).  But, if my mom was up for the trade, the purse would be mine.  So, I proposed a swap...she got the bench, I ended up with the purse, and an enduring lucite purse passion was born.

I have been collecting lucite purses for many years now.  I also collect other types of vintage and antique purses, but the lucite purse is my favorite.  I never tire of looking at the fantastic shapes, the boxiness or the roundness, the smoothness and the quirkiness.  They really are amazingly constructed.  So modern looking, yet our grandmothers carried them.  The late 40's to the early 60's were their time, but the real heyday was the 50's.



If you are interested in a little bit of history, check out these sites:

http://www.twolia.com/blogs/heres-looking-like-you-kid/2009/07/09/a-guide-to-vintage-lucite-purses/
http://members.tripod.com/vamp_pie/lucite.htm
http://wilardy.com/wilardy_history.html

So, last weekend, I found two golden confetti lovelies in a Monterey antique store.  If you are ever in the area (Monterey, CA) and want to go antiquing, this place is fun...one of my favorite local shops, The Cannery Row Antique Mall.



If you want to see more lovely lucite, scroll down to view a few more of my favorites...









So much fun!
Have a great week...



No comments:

Post a Comment