Saturday, September 24, 2011

Vintage Embroidery...Patterns and Pieces

I am an energetic type of gal...I get itchy fingers if I sit in one spot too long.  The cats and dogs of the household must occasionally hate me because the minute they get comfy on my lap, and I start to hear the soft animal snores, I start to squirm.  So, I knit...I embroider...I hand sew...anything to keep the restlessness at bay.  And that, my friends, is where the vintage embroidery comes in.  Knitting is nice...until I have to concentrate enough to follow a pattern while being social or trying to watch tv.  Hand sewing is also nice, but takes forever when I know I could just turn around and whip the project out on my sewing machine.  Hence, embroidery.  The perfect sitting in my chair kind of activity.  I call it a coloring book for adults.  It is fairly mindless, but keeps the hands busy and produces something lovely in the end.

This is my market carry-all...a vintage pattern transferred onto a new canvas bag...

There are a lot of great contemporary embroidery patterns out there (I love to shop Acme Notions online...a great resource for embroidery patterns).  And that is what I started with, contemporary patterns or reissues of older ones (thank you Aunt Martha's).  Until I started spotting really old embroidery patterns and pre-stamped linens in the second hand and antique stores.  Then, the vintage purist kicked in and another collecting bug was born.  So, I still embroider great new designs and such, but I always have my eye out for that vintage embroidery pattern tucked into a dark corner of some antique booth, a vintage pre-stamped linen or some other such embroidery thing buried under lots of ugly stuff at the local thrift.
Another vintage pattern transferred onto a canvas bag...

A lot of times the older patterns I find will no longer transfer.  There are many ways to go about using the design from an older pattern, many ways to trace and transfer.  I suggest doing an internet search for techniques  as it is way too extensive to cover here.  Just search "transferring old embroidery patterns" and you'll find a way that works for you.






Vogart vintage are fairly easy to find...


These are 2 vintage pillow cases that I embroidered...I just need to hem the
bottoms and attach ruffles...


An apron that I found in a second hand shop...I love the dog with its tongue hanging out...  


Lady stamped on a linen runner...


A pile of old patterns...I pick them up whenever I see them...pieces here and pieces there...


A vanity set that I have every intention of one day embroidering and hemming... or framing...



HAPPY EMBROIDERING!






No comments:

Post a Comment